Wednesday, May 21, 2008

PDC

Today, I had a chance to talk to some of the participants of the PDC-TBG during the talk. Some told me it was very difficult to enroll in the refreshing course . Then, I asked them why because most of these participants are senior form teachers and most of their S.5 and S.7 students have gone, so they should have more free lessons to take professional course in the IEd. One lady said, "My principal didn't like me to take courses here as supply teacher can't take up some of my duties." One young man said, "Though I can be here now, I need to go back to sit in a few meetings and set the exam papers." Only one lady said she was recommended by the principal to join the course.

From this conversation, I understand that working in schools is not easy nowadays. I also know sending one teacher to IEd to take PD course involves a lot of resources such as hiring supply teachers, asking other colleagues to take over certain duties and so forth. However, one thing we shouldn't overlook is that teacher is the most valuable asset in a school in comparison with computers and some fixtures. Training teachers to become more professional means to upgrade the workforce and enhance the effectiveness of teaching and learning in school though schools may sacrifice some short-term benefits like fewer teachers sharing out the duties. In the long run, who benefits most? --- students. If we think education is for and about students' well being, teachers, the most valuable resources in school, should be well-treated not ill-treated, well-trained not unprepared for challenges and last of all well-respected not neglected.

Hope my participants can enjoy these 5-week PDC and learn something practical and useful from May, Liz and me.

No comments: