Thursday, May 22, 2008

Grabbing 'the Best'

One of my students told me that she got a job interview on Wednesday. This was good news. She told me that the principal and the deputy asked her to consider whether she would accept the job offer even before they would see her again in the second interview next Monday. What I appreciate is that principals are very efficient nowadays. As we know, they are extremely busy people in schools. My student also told me that she had another job interview at 10 tomorrow, but actually she faxed her CV to the school principal around 5 this evening. You can't imagine how effective this principal is. These two episodes imply that good teachers are very difficult to find nowadays. My student definitely is a very strong candidate because she is an English major and got a very high GPA. More than that, she could teach PTH as she minored putonghua in our institution. From the perspective of principals, albeit being efficient, they have to grab 'the best' candidates in a very short while. This incident can be confirmed by one of my PDC participants who told me some undergraduates would breach the contract though they have signed it because they have a lot of good options to choose from. Being a principal in Hong Kong is not easy!

No comments: