Friday, May 23, 2008

Happy Teachers, Happy Students

Currently, I am teaching a group of in-service teachers who come from various backgrounds. I was impressed with their patience and diligence. I remember when I planned this module last year, I was struggling how I should situate my module, to make it more academic or to make it more down-to-earth. After a week, I decided to use a mixed approach which introduces participants to some background knowledge and theories first (what) and then invites them to have some hands-on (how) by givning them more practical exemplars since they are expected to produce a middle scale assignment. Having finished preparing my course, I was still worried whether they would buy my idea. Luckily, I am very glad and fortunate to meet a group of experienced, conscientious and diligent teachers who have a heart to teach in this profession. One of the class representatives even drew me very beautiful seating plan so that I could call upon some participants when I elicited them for answers. Like today, we had two sessions of 3-hour sessions, meaning that they had to listen to me for almost 6 hours straight. I also felt touched when they were all present and came to the class on time. Not only are my participants experienced and professional teachers, but they are also very 'professional' students in our institution. I know some of them are still tied up with school work such as setting exam papers, having meetings, writing references for S.7 graduates and giving make-up class to students. I know I can't generalize all Hong Kong English teachers are so devoted from this small sampling size because I think there are always good 'guys' or bad 'guys' in each profession. I, definitely, have met a group of delicated teachers who really have a heart to make contributation in this field. I wish them all the success in their future career and happy in their teaching life. Why do I say so? In a seminar, one secondary school principal talked to the audience and said, "If we want our students to learn happily and effectively, we should make our colleagues happy first. And we shouldn't create any unnecessary workload for teachers. Make sure that they ought to come to the school with a happy face every single day." Though this is a very simple concept, it is true and sincere. I remember what he said up until now even this seminar was held a few years back.

No comments: