Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Gym

Once, my students asked me whether it was boring to go to the gym. I said, ‘No’. The majority may have this impression that going to the gym is a monotonous and mechanical activity. But I don’t think so. Actually, it is a focused and demanding sport which can discipline your lifestyle. Some people also think that going to the gym is a very laidback sport event. Again, it is wrong. Instead it needs a lot of planning and of course energy if one wants to achieve the purposes of keeping fit or loosing weight. Though I am not an expert, I did receive professional training as a coach some years ago. Therefore, I would like to take this opportunity to resolve some of the misunderstanding about working out in the gym.

Rumor no. 1: If I stop going to the gym, I will become fat very easily.
Truth: It is not the case. On the contrary, a lot of guys and ladies would look ‘thinner’ if they stop going to the gym because their muscle tissues no longer grow properly. Besides, there are a number of reasons to govern why a person gain weights after he or she quits going to the gym.

Rumor no. 2: If I go to the gym, I become very muscular.
Truth: Without strenuous and tough training, nobody can become muscular. Picking up a dumbbell would turn you into Madonna. It is true especially for ladies whose muscles are not that well-developed in comparison with guys.

Rumor no. 3: If I go to the gym regularly, I can eat a lot of sweet and fatty stuff.
Truth: Even though one has a strict weight training schedule, dieting is still very significant. No matter how efficient you are, weight training only contributes 30% to the outcome of workout and the other 70% of the expected outcome attributes to dieting. If one wants to become very ‘fit’ and muscular, he or she must stick to a healthy diet as well as a balanced workout schedule.

No comments: