Monday, December 8, 2008

Singapore

Last week, I attended a conference in Singapore titled ESEA 2008 Conference. It is the second time I visited Singapore. My last visit to this place is 2004. My feeling this time is that Singapore has changed a lot. First, several MRT extension lines were completed, meaning that the public transportation network is even more comprehensive than before. Second, overlooking from the famous tourist spot, Merlion Park, I realize that the skyline is so different as a big ferris wheel and some new hotel towers were erected as backdrops. Third, both streets and shops are packed with people. Though economy of Singapore has been in recession since last quarter, festive spirit and holiday mood are still prevalent. Christmas decorations are all around for sale and Orchid Road was embellished with tinsels and Christmas bells.

This time, I stayed in a huge university campus located on the west of Singapore. Actually, the campus was built in a forest and the area is almost like 2 times as big as Chinese University of Hong Kong, the biggest university in town. The guest house I stayed is called Nanyang Executive Centre (NEC) in the Nanyang Technological University (NTU). Part of NTU is NIE, National Institute of Education which is a teaching training institution like HKIEd. The NIE campus is a bit far away from downtown. Taking MRT from downtown, it took me 35 minutes to Boon Lay, the last station of East-West Line and then I had to change bus no. 199 to the campus. Though there was a lot of travelling, the experience of living on university campus is different from staying in hotels as I could experience more localized lifestyle in the vicinity of Boon Lay area where a lot of undergraduates hung out. Because of living very close to local areas, I took this opportunity to visit a place called Holland Village which is a complex including both food centre and shops which sell ethnic accessories. The place is both tranquil and combine both Western and Eastern styles. It has bars and steak houses as well as traditional Chinese food stalls where satay and grilled prawns are served. Overall, this business trip made me unveil the other aspecs of Singapore.

No comments: