Saturday, December 20, 2008

Ambition

Last year, a student of mine, studying in BEd(P) program, told me she planned to teach at tertiary level instead of primary level. Then, I asked her why she wanted to teach at tertiary level.

She said, 'I don't have patience. And I can't handle kids.'

We continued our conversation and I asked her, 'What's your plan after graduation?'

'I will further my studies such as pursuing a Master degree in Arts upon graduation in IEd.'

After a few weeks, she did come to see me again and invited me to be her reference. I agreed.

Now, she is taking her MA in Chinese University, our next door neighbour. Two weeks ago, I saw this beautiful lady again and asked her the same question:

'What's your plan after finishing your MA?'

Against my expectation, she said, 'I would like to teach in secondary school for a few years first...'

I replied, 'That's good. Now you are qualified.'

Actually, I talked to a lot of my BEd students and a handful of them said they would like to work at tertiary level. I think it's a good sign that they all aim high rather than low. Being ambitious or aggressive is a good thing in nowadays society. However, what my student miss is that they don't explore if there are any discrepancies between their interests and capacities and their dream job. The majority of them simply perceive that once they have appropriate qualifications, they could get a job at tertiary level. They don't understand that without relevant experience or professionalism, they can't hardly get a job at any tertiary institution. According to my understanding, those who mention they want to work as a college teacher can't even manage classroom discipline well. Some can't even deliver a lesson properly. Imagine if one can't even teach a group of P4 pupils well, how can they manage to teach students with much higher IQ and expectation?

Most of my students think that teaching is an easy job as long as one got good English proficiency and obtain several degrees, he/she can teach!! Is it the case? Yes, to some only but may not to all. How about other essential features of an effective teacher such as having a flexible, resilient, cheerful, optimistic, open-minded, conscientious and charismatic character?
The suggestions I would like to give my students is that they should build a good foundation on what good teaching is regardless of which level they teach! They must have sufficient hands-on experience and learn how to teach well day after day. They should remember 'Rome wasn't built in a day!'

No comments: