Monday, December 15, 2008

Two Former Students of Mine

Last Friday, I met Joe, one of my former students in secondary school. I was Joe's Form Three Class Teacher. Actually, he called me 'Mr. Lam, Mr. Lam'. Then, I looked around and remember this familiar face. He doesn't change much, only taller, more handsome and more mature than before. He was a good student according to my memory. Now, he works as a visual art teacher in one secondary school in Tai Wai. Interestingly, I bet he would become a cartoonist as he is really skillful in drawing comics and animation... Last time I saw him was ten years ago when we met at his big apartment in Toronto. Joe emigrated with his family almost 13 years ago. Now, his English has improved most and he told me, 'I want to work as an art teacher, that's why I come back to Hong Kong.' He also planned to study PGDE in the next academic year.

Another student I met today is called Samuel. Basically, Samuel is not my student as I didn't teach him personally. However, when he studied in a BEd program at CityU years ago, he came back to the previous school that I worked in as a student teacher and of course I was his mentor. I supervised him for around 2 months. Then we became friends. This afternoon, he told me he has been working in school for 9 years. Time flies!! After that, he told me that he was promoted to assistant panel head two years ago and becomes a SGM this September. What great news! I am not surprised with his promotion because since Day 1, Samuel is a very enthusiastic teacher and what I appreciate him most is he really spent time with his students. No doubt he is an extremely patient person. Some of his students got a very good result in CE though the school that he works is just a Band 2 school. He now works as a Form Teacher of a Form 6 class. Apart from being the panel head, he has so many administrative duties to take up such as the team head of Teaching and Learning Team. What's more he is studying his master degree at CityU. Actually, my colleague David taught him before, and Becky Kwan is also teaching him one module. The world is really small. Work hard. Samuel.

No comments: