Friday, April 11, 2008

Teaching and School Visits

Unlike in CityU, working in HKIEd requires me to pay school visits for both in-service teachers and pre-service student teachers. If you ask me which responsibilityI like most, I will answer 'teaching'. Of course, for each responsibility, there are always pros and cons. For teaching, I need to do a lot of preparation and reading. Also, before the day I teach, I study my lecture notes and tutorial task like a hardworking student because I don't want to teach unprepared. In addition, I am a professional teacher. Therefore, I have to give an impression to my students that I am rather familiar with the content knowledge I am preaching. If I cannot do so, how can I motivate them to learn effectively. My BEd students are very motivated and intelligent and they are really willing to learn. For school visits, it is interesting as I can travel to a lot of places and schools to which I haven't been before. Also, it is essential to keep myself 'informed' how my students, be they part-timers or full-timers, are doing in the classroom. The only good thing for doing school visits is I don't need to prepare at all. In that case, what I am involved in is to have the output - conferencing with my students after they finished their teaching. But for me, I still prefer teaching as I like it and sometimes it is really rewarding to see students take home with what I taught them.

1 comment:

Becky Cheung said...

Welcome to my blog, Ricky. You know what, I actually saw you talking to Miss Gloria Lau when you were paying a visit to my school. At that time, I had no idea that you are the Ricky who regularly visits Icy's blog. Until two days ago, Icy said you had a student doing her TP here.

I like pop music a lot, do recommend good stuff!

Cheers,
Becky