Saturday, November 8, 2008

A Young Teacher

Do you believe someone was a born teacher? I am not sure. Some people can be trained to be a good teacher but some were a really born teacher. Yesterday, I observed one of my students for her final year teaching practice. This young lady, practising her teaching in one Tai Po primary school, is a bit different from others. Actually, the school she was allocated to is a not a Band 1 school. I bet students there are average and well-behaved. Against my expectation, once I stepped into her classroom, I realized that she could make her students quiet and settled down without yelling and screaming. Instead, she just looked at the whole class for two times and remained aloof and calm. Simply her gestures and eye movements could control the students very well and they were also obedient. This process just took her fewer than 1 minute!

Then, the lesson went on and she taught comparison of different people. The pupils she taught are at P3 level who are still very naughty and inattentive in class. Regardless of these disadvantages, she played two games with the students to illustrate how to use adjectives comparing old and new friends and asked them to do pair work in a very disciplined fashion. Usually, according to my experience, primary school pupils can get very excited and out of place once they are assigned to do pair or group work. But this young lady could make her students do whatever she wanted so easily without any discipline problem. Is she talented? Very likely. Is she experienced? No. Is she charismatic? I guess so. Is she a good teacher? Wait and see. Do we need teachers like her? Surely.

No comments: