Sunday, October 26, 2008

To write more and more to write

A few days ago, I asked some of my Yr.4 students if they had a habit of writing blogs or using facebook. Almost of them said yes, but some of them told me that they found it difficult to write blog entries as most of the time nothing special occurred on a day-to-day basis. Then, I inquired, 'Do you read newspapers? or Do you have a part-time job? You must want to express your own opinions towards something you deem unacceptable or nonsense. Talk about it. Put forward your stand no matter whether you agree or disagree with the issue.'

One lady said, 'We don't know how to start.' I further explained, 'First, you must have inspiration. For instance, if you attended a lecture you thought you didn't understand, think about why didn't understand and what you could do about it. You may write a few lines about this event. Or if you were ill-treated by someone such as the waitress in a cafe, talk about it. There are so many things you can discuss in your blog. And more you write, more you find it more you can write!'

After I said that, some of these young men and ladies felt very puzzled. They asked, 'Is that true if we write more, there will be more inspiration.' My reply is, 'I can't say for sure, but you could be inspired from various sources such as reading, sharing, observing, thinking... Input is around us and you won't live a life without any stimulus. Am I right?'

Having talked for about 10 minutes, I said, 'Go home and write few more blog entries to express yourself! Writing more is good brain gym for your minds.'

No comments: